Thursday, July 28, 2011

Why, hello, Braxton Hicks...

Not the name of the baby, by the way.


Early in the 2nd trimester, I started feeling weird pressure in my lower abdomen that, when I put my hand there, it felt sorta hard. It freaked me out at first, but then, for some unknown reason, I just assumed it was my little dude stretching out or something.  Fast forward to the past couple weeks, I was so wrong. That was the beginning of these lovely things called Braxton Hicks contractions that everyone who has seen the episode of Friends when Rachel was pregnant and getting them has heard of (if not from other avenues). I was worried that I would feel like her and freak out about it, but they totally don't hurt...it's just a weird feeling.


A clip of what I'm talking about if you never saw the show (what's wrong with you?) or just don't have it memorized like I do. It's a crappy clip, but it'll do.





Anyhow, they have gotten quite frequent. Up to 3-4 times an hour sometimes. However, what I KNOW is that they're not labor contractions. They are irregular, they don't get stronger but get weaker, altering myself (how I'm sitting, walking, whatever) can help it go away, they don't actually hurt or make me feel any pressure or pain anywhere else (like lower back or thighs). Honestly, if I'm walking and one starts, I mostly don't feel it but notice I just have to pee, then realize it's my silly contractions going again. I did ask my doctor about it since they were, I thought, quite frequent (well, I had to see another doc in the practice the other day, but he was awesome) and he said nothing to worry about at all. That it's all part of my uterus moving out of my pelvic cavity, too. Whatever, he's not worried, little dude still kicks like a nutjob, so I'm not worried.


WE GOT OUR CRIB! I was so excited about this! It feels like I'm not a slacker (some girls are like painting and decorating and buying all kinds of crap already) and I have something to look at and dream of putting down and picking up my baby from. We also got our dresser in that matches. So, once we got the crib assembled and everything in the house, I moved things around a tad to where I think they'll be permanent locations. Yes, of course I have pictures!


This is the dresser and I think I like where the glider is right now. We still haven't really decorated, but I wanted to wait to have the crib and dresser before we got around to it, so I know heights and placement of things. I have a valence for the window, but I think I'll want to add a longer curtain to go with it. I need a rod now.


This is our crib! We had already ordered and received the baby bedding we wanted so I threw it on the mattress. The quilt that I have thrown over the crib will actually be tacked to the wall as decoration until the little minion gets bigger and has a reduced chance of suffocating, but I put it there for decor for now. We only have one set of the sheets that came with the set, but I'm ok with that. They're super cute, but change is good so I registered for some plain sheets that should match.


Close up on the quilt.


Close up on the sheets. I haven't washed anything yet, lol. That is another reason why I felt ok putting it on the crib so early. Since I still need to take it off to clean, I'm not worried about dust build up in the meantime.


This is the crib bumper. I'm not putting it in our crib because bumpers have a positive correlation to increased SIDs risk, but I thought maybe it would be ok on the floor like that, as sort of a wall liner in a play corner. I don't know, what do you think? I'd have to staple it to the wall or something.


Up close of the bumper.


Some of the diapers I've received in their drawer!


Some receiving blankets and changing pads in their spot.

I took 2 more pictures of crap in drawers, but they loaded sideways, and who really cares to see crap in drawers anyways? 


This is a diaper stacker that came with the set. I'm supposed to load diapers in it to hold and pull out when needed...  I'm thinking a toy holder instead because who wants to keep loading and unloading diapers? I don't know, we'll see.

So, I know I haven't mentioned it on this blog, but my real estate lady who helped us find our house is just amazing. She was recommended by people at church and we loved her. She sent this to us! It's a Scentsy lamb that smells of baby powder! He's super cute, smells nice, and there is an extra powder pack in the box for when the one in him loses its scent. She is so wonderful and thoughtful!


I'm 26 weeks right now...just one more week until I'm 3rd trimester! I'm an eggplant in fruits (can't remember if I mentioned that already). I'm also entertaining the idea of our little guy coming early, like 2 weeks early, and being born BEFORE my birthday (I'm sure I'll still be tired if he does and, obviously, can't get sloshed, but at least I could have a 30th birthday celebratory drink if he did!), but whenever he wants to show up is ok with me, especially if it's a little early (hear that little buddy, your mommy loves you, and loves you more if you don't make her wait too long!).

RhoGam vaccination (since my blood type is O neg) and one more ultrasound! I know we'll have to start going to the doc more often than every 4 weeks soon, and I think this is my last 4 week break between doc visits. It's nice and not nice. It's just extra time I could be home doing nothing or sleeping, but I get to check in on how my little guy is coming along, too. (I know, I'm a whiner.)

We're now signed up for 2 classes given by the hospital. One class is about all things labor, and we get a tour of the facility, too. The other is about breastfeeding. 

Things I probably should start doing:  reading a book about your dogs and your new baby (I read about a recommended one...but I'm stupid and forgot to write down it's name!), read books about the actual BABY and breastfeeding, and get my FMLA papers together. 

Now, I'm going to find something to eat...

3 comments:

  1. The furniture and decor looks fabulous! I enjoyed this update. Is the house feeling like home yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. I was sad when we were at my parent's when the A/C went out. Of course right now, there is nothing but barking dogs, most likely because Brandon is antagonizing them...but it's my home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be thankful for those extra sheets when minion spits up in the middle of the night. I would recommend a second or back up mattress pad cover too. Everything off...everything fresh.

    And baby will come when he is ready. Just remember..he is a boy, and the longer you can get him to stay in there the better. Go read up on Wimpy White Boy syndrome.

    ReplyDelete