Saturday, April 9, 2011

Weird symptoms & Dopplers?

Everyone seems to know all the usual symptoms: nausea and vomiting, peeing all the time, sore boobs, crazy sense of smell, and emotional.


While I have a couple of those, and some pretty mild, what I didn't expect with pregnancy was my skin to freak out! I thought you were supposed to have this great skin, hair, and nails (what I'm learning is that many women, once they start the prenatal vitamins, get this...but I was already taking vitamins so mine didn't change). Instead, I feel like a damn teenager again. And not the simple, oh lets pop that real quick pimple...but the "under the skin," swollen, and painful nodules that fester and take forever to go away. Ugh.


I've already really mentioned this on my main blog, but what I didn't mention about it is it's everywhere! My face, my back, my chest, and my upper arms!!! (wtf, upper arms?) It isn't that bad, really, but when you go from nothing to something, then it's shocking enough. And I'm a picker! (I know, I know, bad, bad Kim) Or, if I'm concentrating on something and, say, my arm itches, I'll scratch it, right. But then I'll feel a little bump and I'll scratch at that, because, well, it's small and whatever. Next thing I know my upper arm is reddened because I've started scratching at all the wanna be pimples trying to sprout. I frustrate the crap out of myself.


So, now that some of the exhaustion is relieving (thank God!), I'm being much more aggressive at skin care. I can't stand it! Hopefully, this will all clear up nicely and quick.


Instead of getting nausea, I had a gagging feeling. Like something in my throat wanted to make me gag. And, for a while, it was when I thought of eating, then that slowly went away. Then, it was only certain things that somehow elicited the gagging feeling. But, although almost all of the gagging feeling is gone now, I still have a hard time with one thing...


Little back story: when I first found out I was pregnant, I went batshit crazy looking up cloth diaper websites and found tons of blogs and random people that were giving away free "fluff." (definition of fluff: another name for cloth diapers, and, yes, I'm hoping to cloth diaper) I signed up to follow their blogs, I liked them on Facebook, I signed up for all the giveaways. I wore myself out doing that, but, hey, free stuff is free stuff, right? Anything to save money!


In comes gagging phase...and every single time I saw a Facebook post from a cloth diaper person, or a blog update about cloth diapers, or anything of the sort...I wanted to gag. Yes, I found a random aversion to cloth diaper sites. It expanded to almost anything pregnancy. Any emails I got related to pregnancy, I wanted to gag. The thought of going on TheBump.com made me want to gag. I had to delete following the blogs and remove those diaper people from my Facebook. I couldn't' stand it. I had not the energy or the gag tolerance for all the jazz. Next thing I know...it was starting to affect anything related to Brandon and I buying a house! But, thank God, it never got that bad and I could muscle through those websites.


So, chalk one up for most random aversion ever. Not food, not smell, but a theme...I guess is the best way to call it?


Well, I was reading the birth month board on TheBump that I belong to, and, someone posted about finding the baby's heartbeat on her home Doppler. What? She has a home Doppler? Why? So I looked at it and found out you can buy a home Doppler machine. Other than searching for a baby's heartbeat, I am CLUELESS as to why you'd want one of these. (I'm just saying I can't fathom another reason...but I'm sure there are other reasons for them...)


Then I thought, if she has one, it can't be very expensive. We're all saving to buy a ton of crap for a little one, so no way would anyone would spend a good amount of money on a Doppler when they're planning to spend so much on baby stuff. I thought, if it isn't expensive, it might be fun to play with, that's all. Because, really, who wouldn't want to hear that extra, super fast heartbeat anytime you wanted? (assuming you were of sound enough mind that, if you couldn't find it, you wouldn't freak because sometimes babies are elusive) She had linked the site from where she bought the Doppler, and I clicked it. On discount, it was $63. I would NEVER spend $63 on something so very random. Really, what else are you going to use it for? Maybe I'm too frugal, but I'll pass. However, now you know, if you didn't, that you can buy one...if you want...and find whatever use for it you'd like! How many onesies could you buy with $63? Or, baby wipes, diapers, toys, blankets, etc? Ya, pass for me.


But, as I'm rounding out week 10 and looking forward to week 11 (and really looking forward to finishing week 12 and officially entering SECOND TRIMESTER), I feel good. I think lately I've been sleeping a lot, not because I'm tired, but because I know I'll get hungry and I don't feel like figuring food out...so I'll go back to sleep. Bad, bad me.


And no pictures. Sorry. I pretty much look exactly as I always have (no belly yet), and the next doc appointment is April 26, and even then I don't know what we'll be doing. I think the next ultrasound is at 18 weeks...so, that isn't April 26 lol.

2 comments:

  1. April 26th will be here sooner than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, totally weird gag reflexes, who knew! And this also explains why you never replied to my email from the lady at work about cloth diapers - you did get it, right?

    ReplyDelete