Tuesday, November 1, 2011

40 weeks today!

I have been absolutely blessed by wonderful baby showers, awesome co-workers, and the absolutely best family! My dogs have been super cuddly lately and Brandon seems more anxious than me for this kiddo to arrive. I'm actually on leave now, so no more work until January (unless I go back early, which, I doubt I will, but I reserve the right to say I might!), and I'm trying to be as proactive as possible on getting what is left of my class done before this little guy does show up.

So, how about I go ahead an write what I hope to happen and not to happen. I am not sure about having a birth plan...I don't know if I'll regret not having something written down when it comes time, but I guess this is as close to one as I'll get. (by the way, some of this comes off as quite the rant! I apologize!)

My hopes for my pregnancy and my little man are that he initiates labor when he's ready...and not too late. I do agree with my doctor that we don't want to wait too long because I don't want to risk his health at all. The way I understand things right now, absolute day to come out/being inducted day will likely be November 10th, if it doesn't happen on its own before then. I'm ok with that. (actually...if I have to schedule and induction, I might schedule it sorta late to see if we can pull off an 11-11-11 birth date...but we'll see! lol)

But, since I would really like for things to progress as far as possible without the assistance of medications (because who really wants to have ripening agents placed on their cervix, then face the likelihood of having Pitocin being given to force contractions to happen, and to be in all that discomfort when it could happen and build naturally?), on my next appointment, Thursday, I've asked to have a procedure done that has shown to help labor start naturally in many women. It's not guaranteed but completely safe to be done, so, since I'll have made it 40 weeks and 2 days by the time I see my doc again, I think it's a good idea. It works with some girls, others it doesn't. I'm hoping it will work since I'll be past my due date! There are no medications involved, I'm told a little discomfort (well, by one person she said it was the worst experience of her life...so we'll see), and it encourages hormones to be released to dilate and efface and gently urge contractions.

What about an epidural? So many people love to ask this question. I don't really understand why they ask that question most of the time, but, whatever. This is my answer now: I want to go as long as possible without having to get an epidural. (for the love of God, no, I'm not trying to be a hero, I'm not trying to prove a point, yes, I understand that it is going to hurt, I realize I may fatigue because of this, I get why you got yours, I think nothing less or more of you because of your decisions as those were what was right for you, I understand the risks of epidurals as well as risks of not getting one, thank you for your concerns, I'll take your words to heart, I promise, I know not all labors are peachy, I know not all epidurals work and not all of them are light enough for you to feel anything). 

Why do I want to wait as long as possible? Let's start by the fact I'm not a fan of taking medications AT ALL. I know, labor is different, but that doesn't change my stubborn attitude and fear of medications (go figure, a nurse who is freaked by drugs!). I don't feel like I'll be humbled if I need to give in to an epidural, I only said I would like to try to go as long as possible without one. It has also been pointed out to me that there may come the time that I say screw it, I want the epidural, and I'm told it is too late, and, you know what, I'm ok with that risk. I'm not going to die because I hurt so much and my baby will be fine because I'm in a hospital where they'll take care of me and my baby.

Besides not liking to take medications, I do not want to stall out in my labor. I know it doesn't always happen and some women have described the most amazing epidurals (if that could be promised 100% to me, I'd go for it, honestly, but, it can't, so, I'll wait), but I'd rather have my body continue to progress rather than stall or back down because I chose to get the epidural. I, also, am not a fan of getting a foley catheter (that comes with risks of urinary tract infections and urinary retention after it is removed), nor the possibility of losing control of my lower half (legs, bowels, whatever, I hear you fart all the time because of it!). If I stall out, guess what, I will probably get Pitocin, which, once again, I'd rather not have.

Why do I not want to get Pitocin? Because it is so unnatural for your body (least this is MY opinion)! It has plenty of risks that come along with it, even though it is very routinely used. I know, everything has risks, but, if you could avoid taking a medication that has side effects, wouldn't you? That's is all I'm doing, is making my goal to reduce side effects of medical interventions (because, whether you know it or not, EVERYTHING in medicine has a potential side effect or adverse event, it doesn't happen to everyone, and it can happen to varying degrees when it does, but I'd rather just avoid that, thank you very much). I don't want to talk about the side effects or possibilities that Pitocin brings with it...you can google that yourself if you really want to know, but lets just say I'd rather take pain than the CHANCE of any of those things happen.

Other than that, unless something is wrong with my baby and I need to be cut, I would rather tear than be cut. I do not want a c-section, but if it is medically necessary I'm ready to accept that. Unless it is deemed best for the baby, delivering not by c-section has been shown to be healthier for the baby and mom. The squeeze helps move the liquid from the baby's lungs, helps jump start all the events necessary for the baby to live outside your body, it comes with greater risk of infection and pain for the moms, there is a longer recovery period, and you get a scar that may or may not bother you for some time to come, just to name a few things. But I will not hesitate to say lets to a c-section if my little guy needs it. Our health is what is most important!

I do plan to breast feed and hope he and I can do it successfully together. 

Hmm, what else...I'm all about moving around during labor...and NOT laboring on my back (such a bad idea, honestly). I'm also a fan of eating and drinking during labor...but I have a feeling that I will lose on that one. I might sneak some sips of water at least. I understand why they wouldn't want me to...but it still sucks. 

Oh, and, along with the epidural, I will most likely refuse any IV medications for pain. Those are more systemic acting and more likely to reach and/or affect the baby (not too bad, obviously, or they wouldn't give them!), but I would rather not. 

Just remember...on the one surgery I had, I refused my Vicodin. I never got it filled. I took Advil until I felt like I didn't need pain medication anymore. And I was just fine with it. 

And, of course, should anything present itself as not going well, I will jump at the interventions to keep both me and my baby safe and healthy. We're not screwing around here. Too many people already love this little guy and me too much for anything to be risked, and I won't do it. All my statements are assuming there are zero complications and proceeding with my hopes is just as safe as doing it any other way.

So, in case anyone wanted to know, those are my hopes for labor. I refuse to say I'll hard and fast stick to them, but it is what I would like to make my goals. If I sounded grumpy about some topics, it is purely because of the vast amount of people who are always trying to convince me that I'm wrong about knowing my body and what I'm about to face. I understand that I don't know what labor is like, but the majority of people who are trying to convince me otherwise never had the chance or didn't take the chance to do it my way. It is not their fault, but instead of being supportive and encouraging me to stay open minded about labor since not everything works the way we want it to, they're trying to convince me to do what they did...or to take as many interventions as possible...or to rush things...or whatever. I know they love me and mean well, but, well, come on, you guys, I'm really stubborn...but I'm not stupid.

Now, I can't wait to write up what I really get or got and how I felt about it afterwards, lol! I thought about not posting this until I had the actual birth story, for comparison's sake, but I didn't want to feel tempted to back off some of my stances or feel that what I wrote wasn't written in the most honest of forms. So, waiting continues. And I still feel great!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - way to tell unwelcome advisors to suck it. I'm glad I never told you how to have a baby. ;)
    I was so glad to see you and Asher on Saturday. You both look really happy and healthy :D

    ReplyDelete